Friday, August 24, 2007

Audio Books

I know this is at the end, but I may as well get this out of the way now since I have downloaded so many audio books from Audible, Overdrive and Net Library that my dogs probably think George Guidell and Scott Brick live with us somewhere.

Of course Audible allows the most flexibility, but it comes at a price. I have decided the most cost effective plan is the one that allows one to buy the credits all at once and use them when ever one wishes.

Overdrive has pretty good selection of titles, but one must have a lily-white library card (Ahem) and many of the titles one might listen to are in Circulation. I have learned to search "Recently Returned" and choose titles there, but I still find the many little sections that the download is broken into a bit of a problem. I have never figured out how one is notified of a hold, but maybe Overdrive has singled me out to remain in the dark. Anyway I have never been notified that a book I requested is available.

Net Library is easy to download, but has limited titles and the directions saying one must use the largest file size to transfer a title to a device are simply incorrect. I have used the radio quality size many times with no reduction in sound quality. The tranfer is much faster and one can check out more titles at once. It seems to require a device with Windows Media Player.

I could say more and I could devote anothe post to choosing suitable devices, but enough for now.

No comments: