Thursday, August 30, 2007

Twenty-three of Twenty-three

I hate to admit this, but I would have glad done this without the MP3 player reward at the end. What fun it has been. I promised myself I would find at least three things I would use, rather than just complete, and that has been an easy goal to exceed.

Flickr alone provided lots of useful tools and I have used several already and will continue to do so. Now I have to discipline myself not to ogle the pictures I have on my PC.

Zoho is so easy and useful for customers. I think the trend toward web-based mail, picture-storage, document storage is such a boon to libraries in communities where there is a technology gap and many customers may not have the hardware they need.

Blogging alone was worth the trip, and adding videos was really a satisfying accomplishment for me. I could communicate with my puppy people so much more effectively that way. I might even be tempted to get a video camera now that I could share videos.

I know that the things I have enjoyed about this experience are not the same challenges we get regularly from the public here in the branch, but I have decided not to feel guilty about my pleasures. (except about taking an mp3 player for them) Any experience with making things work properly on the computer is valuable in troubleshooting a customer's problems even though they may be doing something simpler. We hear a lot of why-am-I-getting-this-message questions in the branch and the more different experiences we have with different technologies we have the more likely we are to be able to figure that out. Confidence, too is invaluable in troubleshooting, and this training opportunity has afforded all of us confidence aplenty.

1 comment:

IrmBrown said...

Congrats ... congrats! I'm so glad that there were enough new things for you to experience as well. I found the same thing... for me, the new delight was Library Thing. Can't wait to catalog my library. :-) Do you think you'll keep blogging?