Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tags and folksonomy

Conference Hall
Conference Hall,
originally uploaded by eirual.
I guess the problem I have with randomly assigned tags is the lack of reliability. I search Flickr for pictures of sock machines and found vending machines that sold socks and some circular sock machines. I finally found this picture, which shows my ample backside facing the camera featured as if that is what the photographer was trying to snap, by searching the work of the photographer, who is fortunate enough to be unknown to me and will therefore avoid repercussions. The tag he or she had chosen was "CSM" the abreviation for circular sock machine. I suppose I should be pleased that my name is not one of the tags - "Gregory in a red apron" or something.

My other dismay with this process is that many more casual users are leaving the business of tagging to those more technically interested and searches for some craft subjects produce very minimal results compared to their actual presence. There are almost seven thousand knitters working on the Mystery Stole 3, a lacy knitting project and scores of them have shown their work on their blog, but only a few have been tagged.

No comments: